• Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom

by  • March 10, 2014 • Decor, House Projects & Updates • 73 Comments

When I showed you the duvet cover curtains I made for our master bedroom, it was looking like this –

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

But I hinted that the room was changing quite a bit, and it has! I loved the chartreuse that was in the curtains, and I wanted to pair it with salmon/coral hues. They’ve always been my favorite colors, but I never wanted to use pink tones in decorating before out of fear of it looking too girly. But I love them so much, I’ve decided now that I don’t care πŸ™‚ So first I painted our bed a salmon color and brought in the jute rug from our old living room. I replaced the trunk with a $25 craigslist side table and put the mirror up on my art easel. I’ll admit, I kind of felt like a genius for that, haha. It’d be nice to get a more interesting mirror eventually…but you gotta work with whatcha got!

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

After painting the walls a charcoal gray and tweaking a few other things, here’s how it’s looking now –

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

I really liked the braided jute rug in here, but I had to switch it out with this one. I bought it for our family room and it ended up not looking right in there, but I think it works really well in our bedroom, so the jute rug is now in our living/dining room! It’s been a case of musical rugs in this house.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

The beautiful throw blanket was an early birthday gift from my sister, and the mirror was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law! They know me so well πŸ™‚

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

This storage box was a thrift store find that I finally got around to painting. I spray painted it white, and then added a bunch of dabs of charcoal paint, holding the brush on an angle so that it made triangle-ish shapes. I gave it a coat of gloss spray lacquer to protect it and give it a little shine.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

On the other side of the room, I have the old radio that we use as a hamper.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

On that blank canvas, I’m planning on painting my wedding bouquet, kind of like this or this. I was a little worried that a big floral painting might take this already very feminine room over the edge, but I think I can tone it down a little if I brought in some cooler tones around the room – maybe slate blue accents? What do you think?

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

The thrift store gods have been so good to me lately! I’m completely obsessed with my marble elephant ($10) and planter ($3!). OBSESSED.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

I need to get a table for my side of the bed, or maybe a matching pair for either side. I’m holding out right now until we figure out the storage for this room. Currently, all of our clothes are piled in suitcases in the closet. It’s getting REALLY old! So I’m on the lookout for a dresser or chest of drawers first.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

The round velvet pillow is a $6 thrifted find. Retro and cute!

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

The drawing of the woman is just a warm-up sketch from a figure drawing class, but it’s one of my favorite pieces from college! That makes me feel even worse about all of the pieces that I lost so much sleep (and health) over! I made a quick abstract painting to hang next to it and I’m loving the combo right now.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

On the opposite wall I put together a little collection of wedding photos.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

I added in some framed portions of our wedding invitations and programs too.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

Behind the door I have my DIY jewelry frames sporting a fresh coat of peach paint.

Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

I’m totally loving the progress made in our room so far! What do you think?

73 Responses to Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom

1. emily
      March 10, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Wow, what a transformation. So lovely

2. March 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I love it!!! The colors are so beautiful together! Can’t wait to see your bouquet painting πŸ™‚

• March 10, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Thank you! I’m a little nervous to make the painting…but the bouquet you made was so beautiful – if it looks remotely like that, it can’t be too bad!

3. March 10, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I love it! What is the color on the walls?

• March 10, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Oh I forgot to mention that! It’s Pantone Charcoal Gray.

• Shelly Alexander
          November 22, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Love the paint …who’s the paint by?

4. Julie
      March 10, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I’ll admit to saying ‘hmmm’ as I read the first few lines, but you totally rocked the colors and the layout! I think it’s looking lovely. And that CHAIR! I need a chair like that so bad. I have a not-so-secret addiction to cane chairs.

• March 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Thanks, Julie! I’m a big fan of the chair too, but Phil HATES it. I’ll have to tell him that somebody else is on my side too πŸ™‚

5. Kelsy
      March 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I can’t wait to see this painting!

• March 11, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Me either! It’s going to be epic!

6. Rhonda
      March 10, 2014 at 7:49 pm

It looks great! I don’t think it looks “girly,” but Rodney wants to know what Phil thinks.

• March 17, 2014 at 9:00 am

Phil’s response was, “it’s good.” He’s a man of few words, but don’t worry – he is very vocal when he doesn’t like something, and so far, so good!

7. Megan
      March 11, 2014 at 7:24 am

Just Gorgeous!!!!

8. March 11, 2014 at 8:55 am

oh my gosh! you have a serious talent! i love love love it!

9. March 13, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I love all of it. The before and after! πŸ™‚

10. Gram & Pappy
      March 15, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I love the color scheme, bright and beautiful! First thought that came to mind was watching the metamorphosis from caterpillar to butterfly.
      Pappy says, “THAT girl’s got talent!”

11. Leanette
      March 25, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Can you tell me where the rug in your master bedroom came from? Thanks!

12. Sheri
      March 29, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Shauna, it looks GREAT! You are so talented. What is the exact name of the salmon color paint on the bed? And what kind of furniture paint do you usually use when painting pieces like this? Thanks!

13. Pingback: Mid-Century Global Dresser | Beautiful Matters

14. Lauren
      April 30, 2014 at 4:32 pm

where did your sister get the throw blanket?? I’m in love with it!!

• April 30, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I think she said she got it at HomeGoods! I know, I love it too!

15. Stephanie Oh
      May 18, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Love everything about this bedroom!

16. June 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I’m totally in love with your room and the colors you chose. I too didn’t want to add too much coral color, even though I so love it (think my husband would say it’s too girly). You are giving me the courage. I also have a black headboard–did you just paint over yours or did you sand first? Also, where did you get the square pillows from? Thanks for the inspiration!

• June 10, 2014 at 9:37 am

Thanks, Nona! I didn’t sand the bed before I painted it, but I did prime it, which I’m sure helped. Wiping it down with a deglosser first is supposed to really help too, but I didn’t have any of that. The gray ikat pillow is from TJ Maxx and I made the one with black and white dots with a sharpie πŸ™‚

17. Liz
      June 6, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I am in love with the bed! Can you tell me where you got it from?

• June 10, 2014 at 9:38 am

I bought it used off of craigslist a few years ago and I don’t even see any markings on it. I’m sorry, I wish I could be more helpful!

18. Jennifer
      June 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Hi !
      I love love love this… Please tell me the brand and name of the spray paint you used for the bed πŸ™‚

• July 1, 2014 at 9:22 am

Thanks Jennifer! I just used regular latex paint but I threw away the empty can without remembering to write down the color name…FAIL! Sorry I can’t help. I should get some more paint samples and see if I can match it to something.

19. June 14, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I really love your room. I love the bold color on the bed. And the mirror on the easel. Genius!

20. EWeck
      June 19, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors you utilized. It’s chic but not overly girly; perfect for a shared master space. I have to ask where you got your bedspread/duvet cover? I’m in love!

• July 1, 2014 at 9:17 am

Thanks so much! I actually didn’t buy the bedspread – it was my grandma’s, and she wasn’t using it anymore so she gave it to me. But the brand on the tag says Living Quarters and it also mentions Bon Ton. I tried to check online, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. It’s probably from a few seasons ago πŸ™ I’m sorry!

21. July 29, 2014 at 11:24 am

I absolutely adore what you have done with this space!! The coral bed is stunning and the charcoal gray wall really brings warmth to the room!! Stunning job!!

22. Marguerite
      July 30, 2014 at 10:06 am

Love this room! what is the wall paint color?

23. Lauren
      July 30, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I just found your blog – love it! I know the last reply was from a month ago but maybe you’ll see this and be compelled to answer. I have to strike while the iron is hot as my husband has agreed to let me replicate this look. πŸ™‚ The rug from Overstock – is it thick/sturdy enough where it can be used over carpet? I’m all up for thrifting, but laying new floor down is just not in the cards right now. Thanks! Following!

• August 3, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hi Lauren! Sorry, I’m bad at checking my blog these days! The rug isn’t terribly thick but I bet it would be fine to lay over carpet. The backing is slightly grippy so that should help too!

24. July 30, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Gorgeous!!! Can you tell me where the lamp on the night stand is from? Looooove it πŸ™‚

• August 3, 2014 at 11:00 am

Thanks, Austin! I got the lamp years ago from a store called Ten Thousand Villages.

25. AX
      July 31, 2014 at 7:18 am

What’s the name of the paint did you use on the wall?

26. Pat Hastings
      August 11, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Can you tell me more about the radio/hamper? Very cool idea!

• August 19, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Thanks!, but I don’t have much to tell, unfortunately! The hamper was my great-grandpa’s, and the center door pulled down to reveal the record player. Now, it’s just empty on the inside, so I had plans to build a hamper bin there that pulls out/down, but never got around to it, so we just throw our clothes on the floor inside the hamper, if that makes sense? Not as cool…but it works for now!

27. Pingback: Click It 9 - Primitive and Proper

28. August 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm

What color did you paint walls? Name? Love the whole room!

29. August 17, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Love your room! Found you at Primitive and Proper πŸ™‚

30. August 26, 2014 at 10:11 am

WOW! Incredible room – I love it. I normally love a white room (and it looked fab before) but it is absolutely amazing how the gray grounded the space and made it feel so warm and calm yet still bright. Beautiful!! Found you through Primitive and Proper – glad I did!

31. heather
      September 18, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Where did you get your curtains?

• September 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I made those actually from a West Elm duvet cover – here’s the link if you’re curious!

32. Courtney
      October 11, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Sorry if someone already asked, but where is the tall yellow lamp on your side table from??? Love it!!! Love the entire look & color coordination of your room, it’s fantastic!

• October 12, 2014 at 8:13 am

Thanks, Courtney! It’s from Ten Thousand Villages a few years ago.

33. carmend
      October 27, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I love the bed I know you said you got it from Craigslist but do you know the name of the style/type of bed this is ?

• October 28, 2014 at 9:47 am

I wish I could be more helpful!, but I don’t know much about it other than being a two-poster bed. I hope you can find a similar one you like!

34. Al
      November 16, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I love the room. The painting above the bed especially caught my eye and inspired me to make my own abstract piece. I shared it on my blog last week (with a link to your original) if you’d like to check it out. Thanks for the inspiration!

35. Pingback: Choosing the right area rug for your space | Miss Alice Designs Blog

36. Pingback: La camera da letto si fa bella – Bedroom it’s gone to make itself beautiful | vdrhomedesign

37. Pingback: Cheery Gray Rooms

38. Pingback: One Room Challenge [Guestroom Revamp Week #1] | This is our Bliss

39. Pingback: Love the mix of patterns, unexpected colors like melon and citron against the medium gray walls. Very inviting. - Home Decor Gag

40. Kate
      May 26, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Hi, I stumbled onto your blog while searching for bedspreads, your home looks beautiful. Can you tell me where you got the damask print bedspread? Thanks

• September 14, 2015 at 10:09 pm

It was given to me, but the tag says Living Quarters. I think it’s from Bon-Ton. I wish I could be more helpful!

41. Nahomie
      June 2, 2015 at 9:40 am

Very Elegant

42. Pat Gatlin
      June 25, 2015 at 11:15 am

I noticed you said the bed doesn’t have any markings, but could you tell me if the finials are the same size on the headboard and footboard? I have a 4 poster bed that I want to cut the footboard posts down and add round finials. I’m using your bed for inspiration, but I can’t tell if the finials are two different sizes or if it’s just the angle of the camera. Thanks….your bedroom is gorgeous!

• September 14, 2015 at 10:18 pm

They’re different sizes – the ones on the footboard are maybe twice as big? I’d love to see your bed all finished!

43. Pingback: Simplichique » Blog Archive 50 Tons de Cinza

44. Kristin
      August 31, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I am OBSESSED with this room! I love these curtains and may have to just copy you on this one….

45. Joyce
      January 16, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Ehat a beautiful bed

46. Stacie Markham
      July 7, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I am obsessed with the salmon color on the bed! Ive been thinking of doing a piece that color and now u have convinced me to take the leap! Beautiful!

47. Mrs.S
      August 24, 2016 at 10:31 pm

What,type of wood floors is in your picture

• May 2, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Sorry, I don’t have a clue! That was a rental house and I’m assuming that was the original flooring from the 60’s.