• Goodbye to Our First Home

by  • March 27, 2014 • House Projects & Updates, Personal • 14 Comments

Yesterday we officially sold our first home!

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

Yes, FINALLY. You might recall it was almost a year ago when we listed it for sale, and shortly after that our first contract fell through. Since then it hasn’t been active on the market the whole time, but we certainly weren’t expecting it to have played out the way it did. So you can imagine our relief that it has finally sold – and our days of double house payments are over!
    Since I’m a sentimental fool, you know I can’t let this moment pass without a cheesy walk down memory lane šŸ™‚
    It’s fun to remember how the house looked back when we first moved in –

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

As you know, we were determined to update and personalize it as much as we could with what little money we could spare, plus a LOT of hard work!

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

There were plenty of panicked moments when it really sunk in that we had NO idea what we were doing and NO idea what we were getting ourselves into…

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

But there was no other option but to power through and do the best we could, and it was all worth it to turn it into a house that felt more like home to us.

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

Even though we moved out in July, now that the house is sold it feels like we have official closure on that chapter of our lives. Attached as I was, leaving the house was surprisingly less difficult than I had imagined, even with all the work we put into improving it. Of course, leaving our friends and thinking about the good memories there is a completely different story.
    This was the home in which we added Leo and Jaida to our family.

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

This was where we had our first two married Christmases.

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

This was where we hosted lots of friends and family from back home who were sweet enough to visit.

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

This was we had the Wednesday pizza nights with new friends, lots of puppy snuggles, pretty dinner parties, and tons of euchre nights.

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

Leaving this house also meant leaving North Carolina and all it offered too, like Saturdays at our friends’ lake house,

Visiting Asheville,

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

And camping at the Outer Banks.

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

But, cheesy as it sounds, the best memories are truly just the average weeknights we spent with best friends who became our family.

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

So for a super sentimental person like myself, of course it’s strange to see our home totally empty.

Goodbye to Our First Home | Beautiful Matters

But I’m very thankful for the good times we had there and I hope it serves the next owner just as well. It was a great little house for us to start our marriage, and we really learned a lot about home ownership, DIY renovating, and the buying and selling process. I’m feeling very grateful for the opportunity and the experience. Thanks for following along as I shared about our first home here!

14 Responses to Goodbye to Our First Home

1. March 27, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Wow, it is amazing to see how much that house changed when you put all of the before and after photos side by side. You guys did such a great job! Congrats on the sale – I can’t imagine what a relief that must be!

• March 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Thanks Elizabeth! Yes, it really is a huge relief. And somehow it still feels a little sad! Why???

2. March 27, 2014 at 2:27 pm

This made me sad…You were truly the best neighbors!

• March 27, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I know, I still feel sad about it too šŸ™ And you guys were awesome neighbors too! We really got lucky when we picked the house next to yours!

• March 28, 2014 at 9:12 am

We were so lucky to know you! I know it is sad and bittersweet for us, but truly we are happy for you and Phil! You were the best neighbors! Good luck in all that you do!

3. March 27, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Such a beautifully written post. I got a little misty eyed reading it. You guys did an amazing job with the house, but I’m glad you captured all the love that it held!

4. Robin
      March 27, 2014 at 2:56 pm

You and Phil were a life saver for Colby and Bryan. The friendship you guys share will not be forgotten despite the miles between you. I will always be grateful for Phil’s willingness to pick me up at the airport in Richmond when Colby became ill. This posting today made me smile as I remember a few of the times you speak of. I am so happy for you and Phil and I know you will both be successful regardless of where you are. My prayer is that you will be surrounded by truly wonderful friends wherever you may go. God bless!

• March 27, 2014 at 3:13 pm

We miss Colby & Bryan every day! It was so hard to be there when she was sick and not be able to do anything about it, so I know Phil was glad to pick you up and help out in some way. Thank you for your well wishes – they are very much appreciated!

5. Megan
      March 27, 2014 at 2:56 pm

This is SO EXCITING!!! CONGRATULATIONS

6. Bonnie Mattas
      March 27, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Hi Shauna, I just happened upon your blog on FB. I was looking at your house remodeling pictures. My son, Levi (Mattas) and Kate are remodeling their home also, so your blog caught my interest. Imagine my surprise when I saw you and Phil in the pictures…(I’m thinking….I know who these people are!!). Anyway, just wanted to say “Hi”. Hope you enjoy your new home. Looking forward to seeing those pictures also. You and Phil did a nice job on the other house. Hope you get back to this area sometime to visit with Levi and Kate.

7. March 27, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Awwwww, so sad. When I bought my house I was single and had no plans of staying in it for THIRTEEN years. A cat, dog, husband, and three kids later, here we are. Although I dream of other houses, it would be so hard to leave all the memories. Congratulations on moving forward! Starting over fresh will be a blast – and a headache. LOL :o)

8. Aunt Holly
      March 31, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Congratulations Shauna and Phil! I am sure that is a big relief off of your shoulders.

9. May 31, 2014 at 10:44 am

I just found your blog today and just wanted to say thank you for sharing your journey! We bought our first house (a major fixer-upper) last August and you don’t even know how much encouragement this post gave me today šŸ™‚ Off to whitewash some wood panels šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

• June 10, 2014 at 9:33 am

Thanks, Alison! I checked out your site and I love what you’re doing with your home! I’m majorly jealous of the fireplace and ceiling beams in your living room, and a whitewashed plank ceiling sounds awesome!