• The State of the Studio (and this blog!)

by  • January 7, 2014 • Crafts & DIY Decor, House Projects & Updates • 28 Comments

Remember me? Worst blogger ever? Apparently the pattern of this blog in 2013 was long stretches of silence, then a random post filled with all sorts of excuses and well-meaning promises not to do it again, and then followed by me dropping off the face of the earth again. In my defense, it was a strange year. I’d like to say that I plan to do better in 2014, but we all know what happens when I make “bold” statements like that, so let’s just hope for the best?

As for the latest stretch of silence, I will try to make my excuses brief. I was away from home for 3 months! Shortly after unpacking our moving boxes here in Alabama, we found out that Phil would be leaving right away for a 10 week training in Ohio. When I heard that, I decided that I was skipping town too. So after my sister’s seriously beautiful September Outer Bank’s wedding (photo by Cody Wanner),

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

I put Phil on a plane to Ohio and drove to Canada to paint some murals at my brother-in-law’s gym.

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

Then I spent the rest of my time working at my in-law’s renovating their house, and painting house portraits!

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

When December rolled around, Phil finished his training, and we both moved back home with just enough time to celebrate Christmas in this house (before leaving again to celebrate the holidays in Pennsylvania!)

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

BUT, now we are both back in town and staying put for the foreseeable future, which is a welcome change to our very transient 2013.

Now, back to the “regular” programming…

I’ve been plugging away on the house whenever we have been here. I thought I’d share my studio with you first, since it’s looking half decent. Here it is as the blank canvas that I showed you last.

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

And right after we moved in and plopped down our stuff –

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

I absolutely love having our desk in front of the big window. It’s a great view while I work! I’ve never seen so many chipmunks, lizards, or blue jays in my life! It’s the little things I tell ya…

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

However, the view on the other side of the room was not so great.

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

My first project in this house was creating a storage solutions for our workspace. I didn’t want to hang up the shelves from our last home’s studio, but I thought that the space on either side of our desk was begging for some bookshelves. Now, I don’t have a table saw, router, or kreg jig, so I had to come up with a very primitive building plan that only used a miter saw and a drill. First, I had the nice folks at Lowe’s cut down a thin sheet of plywood into the dimensions I wanted for each shelf. Then, I used 1 x 2’s to build little box platforms for the plywood pieces so that the shelves would be very sturdy and also look more substantial. And then, the dreaded sanding.

I stained them with Minwax Provincial to match our desktop –

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

Then I attached the shelves to 1 x 2 supports with industrial looking bolts.

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

And here they are in all their glory!

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

I’ll be the first to admit that this is absolutely NOT the correct way to build shelves. And I’ll also admit that they do have a little wobble when the shelves are empty. But now that they’re full of art supplies, they’re totally sturdy. They were pretty inexpensive to make (it came out to $84 for the pair). I’m just happy to have this project done, get my things more organized, and move onto the next project on my list!
    I attached these cheap IKEA FAS spotlights to the top shelves. I should take a picture at night – it has a really nice effect.

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

The colors for this room will be mainly shades of purple and poppy reds and salmon, which was inspired by my pencil holder (which is just a coffee container with mod-podged marbled paper).

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

I still need to put a skirt or something on the work table. I plan to put something behind the glass of the old windows hanging on the wall and use them as white boards.

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

And maybe you noticed my new rug! It was a Christmas request that I love!

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

This stool got a makeover too.

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

It was one of the stools we used at our art table as kids, and hasn’t been painted since.

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

I started out by spray painting the frame a glossy gray, and painting part of the rush seat white. That was all that I planned on doing to it, but I imagined it turning out cuter than it did…

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

So I added some more stripes with gray and gold paint, and I must say, it is one good-looking stool now.

You like?

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

I’m thinking about some white knock-off Eames chairs for the desk eventually…and different curtains…and a rolling sewing cart…and painting the walls bright white…haha, it’s getting there!

The State of the Studio | Beautiful Matters

If there are any readers still out there…thanks for sticking with me! And though I missed my opportunity when this was relevant…I hope you all had Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

28 Responses to The State of the Studio (and this blog!)

1. Peggy
      January 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Worth the wait – love what you have done with your studio! Your sister’s wedding pic is just beautiful! Live life – blog later! We will all be waiting for you!

2. January 7, 2014 at 5:31 pm

So good to see you back on the face of the earth! Love your projects! Take care and we miss you guys! Tell Phil hello! Hannah misses Jaida and Leo!

• January 7, 2014 at 6:42 pm

We miss you guys too!! and the pups definitely miss having a buddy on the other side of the fence to race, and harrass, haha. Tell the fam we said hi, too!

3. Grammy & Pappy
      January 7, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Shauna,
      You will always have a following from this section of this great country. Holidays over and now you are back to your ingenious and astute projects; love, love, love!

4. Cathy
      January 7, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Love what you’ve done with the room! Thank you for taking care of our house in such a creative and loving way! Mom would have loved it! And thank you for such great ideas!!

5. Aunt Holly
      January 7, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Love the blog! Thanks for including our house in your blog. It is on display in Rogers office.

6. melange
      January 7, 2014 at 7:21 pm

yayyy!! so glad you are back šŸ™‚

7. January 7, 2014 at 7:55 pm

The space is so fantastic… Looks like a ton of natural light and tons of space! The shelves came out great and look like they provide a lot of storage space. I wish my storage would look that organized! I need shelves with doors that can hide all my clutter. šŸ™‚ Glad you are back to bloggyland!

• January 8, 2014 at 11:35 pm

It is a great room – I am very grateful to have a studio this size, and big windows too.
        Not all of my storage is organized…that’s what the closet is for! haha.

8. Kelsy
      January 8, 2014 at 9:12 am

Love that little log house šŸ™‚ I am also very jealous of your desk view! Enjoy that warm sun as well all freeze up here!

• January 8, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I didn’t think to mention that the picture of the view out the window was not taken recently…if you look out the window now, you’d see a lawn of brown grass and dead leaves, haha. But it should warm up here soon, I hope!

9. Joy
      January 8, 2014 at 9:21 am

Am I the only one wondering what you did to the wall outside the office?! The studio looks amazing – but I can’t keep my eyes off that hallway. Tell me you’re going to share that soon? šŸ˜‰

• January 8, 2014 at 11:58 am

No, you are not the only one wondering!! I am straining my eyes to try to see it better šŸ™‚

• January 8, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Haha, I was curious if anyone would notice the hallway! Yep, that post is up next! šŸ™‚

10. January 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

I loveee that chair – and the fact that it has some family memories tied to it makes it so much better!

11. Jody
      January 8, 2014 at 9:56 am

Looks great! I love your blog for ideas, you are incredibly talented!

12. January 8, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Welcome back! I love the shelves – if anyone wanted to copy them, I’m sure just using a small L bracket at the top to secure them to the wall would mitigate any wobbliness.

13. January 8, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Shauna, I love the shelves!! And the chair. I’ve had my eye on some chairs just like that at the local consignment store, so I may just have to get them now!

• January 8, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Thanks, Riley!
        Get the chairs! I want to see pictures if you do anything to them!

14. January 9, 2014 at 7:40 am

Wow, what a transformation. I love it! I have your blog in my feedly, so even if you tske a leave of absense Im always reading when you come back. šŸ™‚

15. January 12, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Love the what you have done with the room! I’m looking for inspiration to spruce up my office, and those shelves are a great idea!

16. Leslie
      January 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Can you please do a tutorial on that rush seat?!?! I LOVE it! We have rush seat dining chairs and I have hated them and wanted to get rid of them….until I saw this! I have to give it a try. Thanks!

• January 30, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Thanks, Leslie! I would do a tutorial, but I didn’t think to take any other pictures while I was working on it. But it’s very simple! I just used a ruler to pencil in 1″ stripes within each of the 4 triangle areas, then used a brush to carefully fill in the stripes with paint. You could try using tape, but I’m not sure if you would get as crisp of a line because of the texture. You can do it! Send me some pictures if you happen to try it out!

17. Brooke
      June 2, 2015 at 11:10 am

Love the file cabinets with the wood front drawers. Did you make them or purchase them? LOVE!