• Duvet Cover Curtains

by  • January 30, 2014 • Crafts & DIY Decor • 16 Comments

I showed you our empty master bedroom in the “before” tour

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

It’s a good-sized room, and I love the hardwoods and the fact that there are three windows! Here’s how she was looking shortly after we moved in –

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

We have a lot of furniture on our shopping list, considering that this house is twice the size of our first home. Our clothes are still piled in suitcases in the closet. I’ve been stalking craigslist for dressers! But my first order of business once we moved in was getting curtains up for all the windows in the house, since there are only a few windows with blinds. I think naked windows are beautiful during the day, but as soon as the sun sets, those naked windows make me feel exposed and unsafe. It’s silly that a piece of fabric hanging over my window is what separates me from paranoia, but it’s true. Phil doesn’t understand, but I’m not the only one like this…right? So, curtains it is! Here’s how I made these ones for our bedroom.

I wasn’t finding any (affordable) fabrics that were inspiring me, so I began to look elsewhere for textiles I could use to make curtains, like sheets, tablecloths, etc. I thought this mandala ikat duvet cover from West Elm was perfect! I loved the global feel of the pattern, and chartreuse just happens to be one of my favorite colors :)

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

I called customer service to ask if the pattern was printed fully on both sides of the duvet cover (versus a solid on the back), and lucky for me, it was! That meant I would get twice the fabric.
    I ordered it in a king size during a 30% off sale for $66.50.

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

With the king size, I was working with two 92″ x 108″ pieces. I needed 6 panels, so that meant that each piece would be 36″ x 92″ (they’re actually 32″ x 89″ after trimming & hemming). The panels wouldn’t be as full as I prefer my curtains to be, but I thought that I could get away with it for the size of our windows. I was especially forgiving because it meant that it would come out to $11/panel :)

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

Side note: I know that this isn’t a groundbreaking idea, but I do think that this method is an awesome option for making your own curtains. Six panels is stretching it for one duvet cover, but out of a duvet this size, assuming that the design is fully printed on both sides, you could make 4 curtain panels that are 54″W x 92″H. Or 2 panels that are 108″W x 92″H, which would be awesome for patio doors or large bay windows. OR, if the pattern doesn’t have an obvious up/down orientation, you could turn it the other way and make 108″H panels if you have taller ceilings. There are a ton of options with this method! I just wanted to point out some of the possibilities. But back to the tutorial…

To get started, I ripped apart all the seams to separate the front & back pieces of the duvet. It would’ve been way faster to cut them apart, but I really wanted to salvage as many inches as possible since the panels were already going to be on the small side.

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

Then, I folded and cut each side into thirds.

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

This duvet fabric is pretty thin, so it needed to be lined with something to make it more substantial and also more opaque. It would’ve been nice to use blackout fabric or even just a heavier fabric like canvas, but I was going for CHEAP. I just used a few twin sized flat sheets that I got from the thrift store for a couple bucks. I figured I could always line it with something better someday if it bothers me.

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

I explained this sewing process in more detail in this post, but basically the liner is tucked underneath the ironed hems before sewing them in place. The top of the duvet already had a seam where the buttons were attached, so I folded that over for the top of the panels.

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

I would normally do a larger hem at the bottom, but I wanted to save the green stripes on the front, so I got away with a tiny 1/2″ hem.

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

At the top, I used some scrap fabric to create back tabs for hanging.

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

I hung them up from spray-painted electrical conduit rods (which I also explained in this post).

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

I really like the green band at the bottom of the panels that gives them a little visual weight.

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

And I’m loving the pattern!

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

These days the curtains are popping against some freshly painted charcoal walls :) And charcoal walls called for the curtain rods to be spray-painted gold, amiright?

Duvet Cover Curtains | Beautiful Matters

I wanted to save these other changes for another post, but the room has been changing quite a bit and I couldn’t end this post without a sneak peak :)

16 Responses to Duvet Cover Curtains

1. January 30, 2014 at 4:55 pm

So genius! These look fantastic and I totally agree that “naked” windows make me feel unsafe. When we first moved into our previous house, I taped up newspaper on the windows until we had some curtains, haha. Thank you for the link to the DIY curtain rods! I will be needed rods for about a dozen windows and your tips will save us so much!

• January 31, 2014 at 8:39 am

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one paranoid about “naked” windows!
        And yes – using electrical conduit as curtain rods saves a ton of money! And there’s a few different thicknesses to choose from, so you wouldn’t necessarily have to get the same kind that I mentioned. The hardest part is figuring out finials (I used round wooden balls from Michaels here) and some sort of bracket to hang them (I used really big eye hook screws). Good luck!

2. Prissy LeBerte
      January 30, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Bedroom looks so cute! Love the colors and of course the spray painted curtain rod!

3. Kelsy
      January 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Please make me some curtains :)

4. Meg Goodrich
      January 30, 2014 at 10:59 pm

I adore your posts!! I love everything Fabulous yet Frugal… Bc I know Both can coexist!!! I’m a SAHM to three kids… Frugal is what I aspire to do better at so I Love the inspiration from your Beautiful pictures & how your projects seem easy-ish to do (I gotta find more time… I homeschool all three too!). I meant to ask… Did you take Interior Design classes or is this All just your natural talent? And, either way, where do you pull your inspiration from on how to pull this together so well? Like House Beautiful magazine or other FAV interior design books, blogs, etc? I’ve always had a knack for decorating… But I pale in comparison to you… And I’m trying to refine my “skills” ;). I tend to have too much decorating pieces…. And can’t part… So everything looks too cluttered. But people really seem to enjoy all my “stuff”….. I just am feeling more drawn to the less-stuff but still enough look now… Like yours!! :)

• January 31, 2014 at 8:56 am

Thank you for such a sweet comment!
        I haven’t taken interior design classes (though that would be awesome!), but I do have a studio art degree which I think translates really well. I still have a lot to learn, but I am house-obsessed and spend a lot of my free time reading other house blogs. There are so many good ones, but my favorites are Little Green Notebook, Style by Emily Henderson, Kara Paslay Designs, and Kristen F. Davis Designs. I also think it’s SO helpful to bookmark inspiring ideas and interiors that I adore on my pinterest boards.
        And obviously, I have WAY more free time than a momma of 3, so I wouldn’t feel too bad about that :) It sounds like you’re doing a great job! I’m constantly reminding myself to edit my decor as well and try to donate items often as new things come in.

• Meg Goodrich
          January 31, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for all your encouragement!! I can’t wait to look at all of these blogs & boards :) Keep up all your Fun & Inspiring Beautimus DIY Projects….

5. Rhonda
      January 31, 2014 at 10:38 am

Love the curtains and can’t wait to see the rest of the bedroom. I’m always amazed at what you come up with! :)

6. Bonnie
      January 31, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Absolutely LOVE the room!!!! Colors and design. Great job!!

7. February 3, 2014 at 5:59 pm

That red-orange bed really pulls the color scheme together!!!

8. February 6, 2014 at 8:37 am

Love where this is going…can’t wait to see more!

9. February 6, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I found your blog around Christmas time as I was looking for some DIY Christmas decor ideas, and I am so excited to see that you are posting again. I am in the process of redoing our Master, and this is inspiring me. I just posted our mood board today (http://allpreciousandpleasant.com/2014/02/06/master-bedroom-plans-take-2/) complete with white curtains. Now I’m thinking I might have to switch to a pattern using a duvet…or at least find another room for this technique! I’m so inspired! Keep up the blogging; you are so talented!

10. Pingback: Salmon & Chartreuse Bedroom | Beautiful Matters

11. September 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Oh my goodness! So this is crazy to me – I’ve had a West Elm gift card burning a hole in my pocket and have been eyeing this exact duvet to make curtains out of for our master bedroom! I haven’t bit the bullet yet but then I was trolling Pinterest only to stumble on your bedroom post and your curtains! I love them and your bedroom looks amazing!!!! Great minds think alike!!

12. January 10, 2015 at 12:45 am

Shauna, these are beautiful. You inspired me and I just made them for our dining room after not being able to find curtain anywhere that I liked! We recently bought our first home and were experimenting with some gray’s and are unhappy with everything we have picked out, either too dark or not dark enough. Do you know who made and the paint color you chose for this room? It would help us out so much because this is exactly what we are looking for!

• February 11, 2015 at 1:40 pm

So glad I could help to inspire that idea! :) The paint color is Pantone Charcoal Gray (from Lowe’s).