• Black Doors

by  • April 25, 2013 • House Projects & Updates • 7 Comments

It’s about time I kick off the house project catch-up fest!
    When I painted the living room, I left the inside of the front door untouched because I knew I would want to paint it something other than white.

Black Doors | Beautiful Matters

Almost 2 years go by…and I finally got around to painting that door! I hopped on the black door trend & painted it a dark, glossy shade.

Black Doors | Beautiful Matters
    Black Doors | Beautiful Matters

Ooooo, dramatic. I’m bringing in a lot more black accents throughout the room, so it will make more sense when you see it all together.

Black Doors | Beautiful Matters

While I had the brushes out, I decided to tackle the boring white door to the laundry closet in the kitchen.

Black Doors | Beautiful Matters

Better, don’t you think?

Black Doors | Beautiful Matters

It originally had a painted wood knob, but I replaced it with two ceramic knobs for a more symmetrical look.

Black Doors | Beautiful Matters
    Black Doors | Beautiful Matters

They were actually two plain white knobs, leftover from the great cabinet transformation. I used sharpies to fill the surface with little circles. It was completely inspired by these Easter eggs at Design*Sponge. I love how they turned out to have a speckled look!
    Black Doors | Beautiful Matters
    The new look makes a simple laundry closet a little fancier!

Black Doors | Beautiful Matters

What do you think? Do you have any black doors in your house?

7 Responses to Black Doors

1. Melissa
      April 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

Simple little updates but they make such a dramatic difference! Great job. (And I would have never guessed those knobs were Sharpie-d! Very cool.)

2. April 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm

The black doors look great! I painted our front door black on the outside. I wanted to do the inside but our house is just way too tiny and dark for it.

How are the handles holding up? Whenever I write on something with a glossy finish with Sharpie, it always rubs off pretty quick.

toddlindsey.com

• April 27, 2013 at 10:25 am

The handles are holding up great, actually. I was worried that they might rub off too, but they haven’t at all. You could try coating stuff with spray lacquer or spray polycrylic whenever you sharpie things?

• Marcia Clark
          February 3, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I have read that you can draw on porcelain mugs with a sharpie then bake them in the oven and it makes it permanent! I bet you could do that with the knobs, too. I’m sure google as instructions on how hot and how long to bake them. 🙂 Love your blog!

3. Krystal
      November 12, 2014 at 1:27 pm

What paint did you use for this door?? I’m looking into painting the inside and outside of our front door but not sure what kind works best. Thanks!

• February 11, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Hm, I’m not sure! I think it might’ve been just an off-the-shelf quart of glossy black but I don’t remember anything else :/